Working at Heights Refresher Training
Working at heights refresher training reinforces key learning outcomes for workers who are exposed to the danger of falling from heights on construction projects. All workers who work at heights on construction projects must be able to demonstrate their knowledge of the correct use of fall protection equipment.
Course Topics- Practical
- Barriers and Other Fixed Equipment
- Personal Fall Protection Equipment
- Anchor Points
- Work Access Equipment and Platforms
- Rescue Planning
You must achieve an 80% or higher on the written evaluation and successfully complete the practical evaluation in order to successfully complete the course.
The Occupational Health and Safety Awareness and Training Regulation (Ontario Regulation 297/13) under the OHS Act clearly sets out WAH as a mandatory requirement.
In addition to these requirements, employers continue to have a duty under subsection 26.2 (1) of O. Reg. 213/91 (Construction Projects) to ensure that workers who may use a fall protection system are adequately trained on the use of the system, and are given adequate oral and written instructions by a competent person.
Employers with workers who are required by O. Reg. 213/91 (Construction Projects) to use any of the fall protection methods listed above must do the following:
- ensure the worker completes a working at heights training program that has been approved by the CPO as having met the Working at Heights Training Program Standard applicable at the time of the training;
- ensure the training provider delivering the training program was approved by the CPO as having met the Working at Heights Training Provider Standard applicable at the time of training;
- ensure the worker’s training is valid and has not expired;
- maintain a training record for the worker that includes the worker’s name, the approved training provider’s name, the date the training was completed and the name of the approved training program;
- and make the training record available to a Ministry of Labour inspector on request.
Who Requires this Training
- Any worker who is required under Ontario Regulation 231/91 (Construction Projects) to use any of the following methods of fall protection:
- A travel restraint system
- A fall restricting system
- A fall arrest system
- A safety net
- A work belt
- A safety belt under O.Reg 253/14, s. 1.
Successful participants of the Working at Heights Refresher training will maintain their valid certification for 3 years.